FIND InnoNuggets

 

My Book on Strategic Decision Making

My Book on Strategic Decision Making
Applying the Analytic Hierarchy Process

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Learning from across the world

Cody Brooks who Blogs at http://tehbrookzorz.blogspot.com/ sells I sell car repair services and preventative maintenance in Canada.
A small chat encounter with him resulted in the following insight for me. I thought I am also selling the same services except I sell the innovation consulting services.
Reproducing below our conversation

Cody Brooks  I sell car repair services and preventative maintenanceat least as my job, if that's what you mean
Navneet Bhushan if I may ask - how do you sell these - I am also in the similar job - I sell Preventive maintenance of future crisis for businesses
Cody Brooks that is interesting, I hadn't realized that was a field one could work in
Navneet Bhushan I sell by telling them how to adapt to change that the world is seeing
Cody Brooks generally, i'm at a counter at the garage. customers are either aware that they have a problem and want us to find the source, or come in for routine maintenance and are advised of manufacturer's recommendations or obvious faults. which is a contrast, i don't know that business come with owner's manuals..
Navneet Bhushan one way to adapt is to try figure out what is changing and then adapt - but more potent is to create the change that you want to see. I call this innovation consultancy but I think I can learn a lot from what you do. I love preventive maintenance of car services at least the way we both sell these services may have great similarities
Cody Brooks i suppose the root of it is identifying what will wear out over what use/time, and dealing with it before it becomes a problem. if you know that coolant is good for so many heat cycles in a known environment, you have a good idea of when to change it. advising the customer to change it before it becomes corrosive and potentially causes damage to other parts of the system is seen as good value because it prevents them from having to pay to change expensive components at a high labor cost Now I don't know what coolant lasts for, the manufacturer determines that. Generally we use tools to see the condition in the here and now.
Navneet Bhushan amazing - what will be impacted by what change when is very similar to create the preventive maintenance of business
Cody Brooks This all sounds much fancier than it feels in application. I imagine that the two fields could be superimposed in theories. Perhaps in a lesson you could compare the ideas

This exchange resulted in a BlogPost by Cody - which reads nicely at Business Parallels

No comments:

My Book @Goodread