FIND InnoNuggets

 

My Book on Strategic Decision Making

My Book on Strategic Decision Making
Applying the Analytic Hierarchy Process

Friday, November 06, 2009

Who is your customer, complementer, competitor and supplier?

Repeatedly in my interactions as innovation co-crafter (thats what I do for a living anyway), with various businesses across domains - it has not been easy for people to answer a very simple question

WHO IS YOUR CUSTOMER?

Repeatedly I have found very successful and not so successful businessmen stumped with this question.


Here are my definitions - please apply to your domains and see how whether they help you to get a clear picture of your business.

1. Customer - anyone who uses your product/service to perform a function. Not necessarily who pays you. I am Google's customer, but I don’t pay Google.


2. Complementer - anyone whose product or service added to your service/product helps perform more/better functions for your customers


3. Supplier - anyone who provides you ingredients to make your product/service


4. Competitor - anyone who helps your customer to perform same function that your service/product helps the customer to perform.


In a dynamic value net (which is the most realistic scenario) - there are fuzzy boundaries between CCCS (Cust/Comple/Competi/Supplier).


Please explore your value net to find out what lays hidden in these boundaries and may be therein lies the secrets of your NEXT INNOVATION!



No comments:

My Book @Goodread