1. Predictions for 2008: A massive data meltdown (Text below taken from the link)
Remember the panic when the first computer worm hit? We're going to have a crisis like that next year when we get the first data center meltdown, predicted Subodh Bapat, a vice president in the eco-computing team at Sun Microsystems.
"You'll see a massive failure in a year," Bapat said at a dinner with reporters on Monday. "We are going to see a data center failure of that scale."
2. Ten Threats predicted here (What an interesting Imagination - Unfortunately from my vantage point it is just one scenario!!!)
- Facebook widgets will be used to distribute malware.
- In 2008 we will see the first attempts to exploit Open Social tools to hack social networks.
- I predict that 2008 will be the year that SFDM applications will be exploited for nefarious purposes.
- 2008 will see a continuance of China’s attacks on Western governments and industry.
- I predict that Russia will continue to use their newfound ability to use cyber extortionists’ tools to impose their political will on break away states.
- More companies and individuals will find themselves the targets of hackers in 2008.
- Financial markets will be disrupted by increasingly elaborate schemes: pump and dump combined with DDoS for instance.
- In 2008 we will learn just what the Storm Trojan is meant to do.
- Terrorist organizations bring out DDoS as a weapon against e-commerce and media sites that choose to display images of Mohamed.
- Game console exploits will be transmitted over the Internet, the Wii in particular.
- Linux on the desktop will get some more good breaks, but the “Year of Linux” is still a long way off.
- Watch out Mac users, hackers are after you!
- No matter how cool you think your current iPhone is, iPhone 2.0 will make you hate it.
- Expect DRM to have a tighter stranglehold over your digital life.
- The “we’re waiting for Vista SP1” excuse will be replaced by “we’re waiting for Windows 7.”
- AMD will spend another year playing catch-up with Intel.
- You think spam’s bad now? You ain’t seen nothin’ yet!
Will search some more.... Is there a Black Swan?